ARTIST OF MONTH - January 2021 - Nicolas Senegas
2 weeks ago
Portrait, Nicola Senegas
QUICK FIRE ROUND with Nicolas Senegas
- what was the first photography book you bought?
Prodigy, The Fat Of The Land Official book
- what is your favourite colour?
I used to say that was black but my friends told me that this is not a colour... so, now it's blue grey.
- who are your photographic influences?
Joel-Peter Witkin, Jan Saudek, Vivian Maier, Anton Corbijn, Richard Avedon (his American West series)
- what is your favourite museum?
The Grand Palais in Paris for its diversity. I've seen Keith Haring, Hokusaï, Robert Mapplethorpe, Crumb, Edward Hopper. All these exhibitions are unique, and you're so close to all theses masterpieces that you can almost touch them. Perhaps one day I'll be enough close to have one at home or in jail ...
- if you could buy any photograph which would it be?
Anton Corbijn's photography of Brian Warner.
- your favourite holiday destination?
I can easily say Bali. It's one of the beautiful places where I've experimented the real freedom. It's a sunny place, people are so nice, the food is amazing, and the culture is unique.
- if there is one living person you could photograph who would it be?
Just one!? Etienne Klein, or Lisa Marie Smith (absolutely different ).... but I'll say Lisa Marie because I'm sure that she is a multi-faceted model and I'll have unlimited possibilities with this kind of model and personality (deep inside I think I've been traumatised when I saw her in Tim Burton's movie Ed Wood)
- what is your guilty pleasure?
Red wine and cheese
- what is your favourite city?
London, there's the city and the parks, everything is beautiful, the people are nice with you, you can talk with them easily, I've never felt any stress in this town.
- which charities do you support?
Sometimes it's Survival International or Sea Shepherd, sometimes it's just something for a homeless person. I give money when I can.