ARTIST OF MONTH - Marianna Rothen
5 months ago
QUICK FIRE ROUND with Marianna Rothen
- what was the first photography book you bought?
A Storybook Life by Philip-Lorca diCorcia was my first and Guy Bourdin by Guy Bourdin was my second. This says a lot about where I was when I first started to make pictures.
- what is your favourite colour?
Green, in photographs. You can see it in all of my polaroids.
- who are your photographic influences?
I'm more influenced by films, but always deeply admired: Anne Collier, Laurie Simmons, Mickalene Thomas and Gillian Wearing.
- what is your favourite museum?
Brooklyn Museum for feminist art, Centre Pompidou for modern art, Dia Beacon for the experience and I love the Foto museum in Winterthur.
- if you could buy any photograph which would it be?
A Cindy Sherman untitled film still. The one with her on the side of the road.
- your favourite holiday destination?
Brazil, although I haven’t ever been, I have a fantasy of what it would be like.
- if there is one living person you could photograph who would it be?
Maybe Faye Dunaway because she has always been a legend to me. Or I would love to photograph Tilda Swinton with my Mannequins.
- what is your guilty pleasure?
I think the only guilty pleasure could ever be cigarettes. Which I don’t often indulge. Everything else is just pleasure.
- what is your favourite city?
Besides New York for being so good to me for many years, I love the cities that have the beach and the sun like Los Angeles, Sydney and Barcelona. Also this makes for year round photographing possibilities.